The Maserati brothers, having sold their original company to the Orsi family, had a ten year retainer. As soon as that decade expired, in 1947, they set up again as O.S.C.A.
Their first car, the MT4, was a huge success right from the start, but the company did not enter Le Mans until 1952, when the Torinese chemist, Dr Mario Damonte commissioned this most beautiful Vignale coupe body, to be fitted to an MT4 chassis.
In 1952 it ran with a 1342cc motor, and was leading its class by a huge margin, until its clutch failed at Arnage corner. Damonte's co-driver, Martial, heroically pushed the car over two miles to the pits, but sadly the clutch was beyond repair.
In 1953 Damonte returned, this time with a 1093cc engine fitted, and won his class with ease, at 80.96 mph.